Pancakes are a dish that is easy to cook and liked by almost everyone. Thin and flexible fritters are the secret of successful pancakes. How to make pancakes from scratch? What do you need to make delicious pancakes?
History of pancakes
Pancakes, in the style of French crêpe, came to America from Europe with the colonists. Frying and eating them was very popular among English, French and Dutch colonists during various ceremonies. In the late 18th century, pancake dough was prepared with the addition of leavening agents, first yeast and then soda.
Pancakes in which pancakes were fried have also evolved: from a simple cast-iron pan with handle, held over the fire, to an electric plate for frying several pancakes at the same time, or a pan with several cavities into which the finished dough is poured, which allows to obtain a perfectly round shape.
How are they different from crepes?
Traditional pancakes are thin and can be made from both wheat and spelled flour, rye, oat or a mixture of rice with buckwheat or millet. The dough must be thin enough to be able to spill it all over the pan.
The American version is prepared from wheat flour or from the one available outside the country, such as “self raising flour”, which means that you don’t have to add anything to make it grow beautifully. Add baking powder and baking soda to the public one to make them grow well and chubby.
The pancakes dough is twice as thick as to keep it small and not spill over the entire surface of the pan. The mass also uses butter, buttermilk and beaten eggs to get the right consistency.
How to make American pancakes?
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.25 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- frying oil
Step by step preparation:
In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a spoon – flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Make a hole. Pour into it milk, melted, slightly cooled butter and beat the egg. Blend the whole until the mass has a smooth consistency.
Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and pour the dough on it – about 1/3 cup for one pancake. Fry on two sides until slightly brown.
American pancakes taste best hot, served straight from the pan, topped with maple syrup. However, you can serve them the way you like them best.
- a glass of milk,
- 2 eggs,
- 80 g butter,
- 1 and 1/2 cup wheat flour,
- 1/3 cup sugar,
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa,
- pinch of salt,
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate,
- 2 spoons of baking powder.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, combine with sugar, salt, cocoa, baking powder, mix everything together.
- Stir eggs and mix into the mass. Now add melted butter and milk, mix again.
- At the very end, add chopped or grated chocolate. Mix the mass.
- Fry in a hot pan. When small bubbles of air appear on the surface of the pancake, it is an infallible sign that it should be turned to the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream or your favorite sprinkles